Find a Notary Notary Forums Notary Training Notary Supplies
Notary.net Homepage
Notary.net Login    
DISCLAIMER: The information contained in these forums is not necessarily the opinion of Notary.net, its subsidiaries or parent companies. Notary.net does not endorse or validify any of this information. If you find any information to be innacurate, please post directly to these forums or contact the post creator.

Forums - California Notary Forums - Weddings  
Search
Thread Topic: Weddings
Topic Originator: David Mac
Post Date April 22, 2009 @ 9:47 PM

David Mac
1 Posts
(, CA)
Weddings04/22/2009  9:47 PM

Ok, here is my questions.

First I am thinking about becoming a Notary,  one of the reasons is I want to be able to perform wedding ceramonies for family and freinds. The other is with the economics running the way they are I am thinking this could be a good back up plan. Would I need any specialized training to do the weddings?

How intense is the course

Is their alot of cost involved?

I am sure I will be coming up with more question if I decide to go ahead and do this so please be patient.

Thanks

Dave

Lisa Thornton
233 Posts
(Upland, CA)
RE: Weddings04/22/2009  10:38 PM

Notaries cannot perform marriage ceremonies in California.....this is not Florida.  Here in this state you must be an ordained minister.  Notaries can be qualified by the county recorder to issue confidential marriage licenses and that is it.  There is additional training that comes specifically from the county recorder - there is no class training outside of the county recorder for this.

Marian Harmon
293 Posts
(California City, CA)
Visit Marian Harmon's Website
RE: Weddings04/22/2009  11:33 PM

Lisa is absolutely correct. A Notary Public cannot solemnize marriages in California.

The only people in California authorized to perform weddings are:

1) a priest, minister or rabbi of any religious denomination who is 18 years of age or older;
2) an active or retired Judge, Commissioner, or Assistant Commissioner of a court or record or Justice Court in this State; or
3) by a Deputy Commissioner of Civil Marriages.

Now, that doesn't mean that any of those mentioned above cannot also be a Notary. They just can't perform a wedding ceremony in the capacity of a Notary.

The only thing really marriage related they can do is notarize signatures on pre-nup agreements and divorce papers unless they have have permission from the county clerk to issue confidential marriage licenses -- and that is NOT performing a wedding. Not all notaries can issue the confidential marriage licenses.

Now, you *can" be a notary with permission to issue these licenses as well as be an ordained minister capable of performing ceremonies - but those are entirely different "hats" that you would wear. You do not need to be a notary to become a minister, nor the other way around.

This guy here is a notary and an ordained Minister who covers LA County:

http://www.officiantguy.com/about.html

It is pretty convenient that he can do both...but it isn't something he can just do because he's a notary. There are a LOT of steps involved.

Notary.net is continually working to improve your online experience. Please call 1 8 8 8 2 6 3 1 9 7 7 if you would like customer service assistance. Thank you.