Find a Notary Notary Forums Notary Training Notary Supplies
Notary.net Homepage
Notary.net Login    
DISCLAIMER: The information contained in these forums is not necessarily the opinion of Notary.net, its subsidiaries or parent companies. Notary.net does not endorse or validify any of this information. If you find any information to be innacurate, please post directly to these forums or contact the post creator.

Forums - Nationwide Notary Forums - Proof of Life Form  
Search
Thread Topic: Proof of Life Form
Topic Originator: Margaret Iske
Post Date May 26, 2011 @ 11:44 AM

Margaret Iske
1 Posts
(San Rafael, CA)
Proof of Life Form05/26/2011  11:44 AM

I am unclear whether it is okay to notarize a "proof of life" foreign document.  Basically this document certifies that the bearer is alive and eligible to collect a pension from another nation.  I was told to refer them to the consulars office which I did.  However since then I have heard conflicting answers.  Is it okay since I'm actually only notorizing their signature and shouldn't worry what the document says??

Confused..

Linda Hubbell
223 Posts
(Fort White, FL)
Visit Linda Hubbell's Website
RE: Proof of Life Form05/26/2011  2:49 PM

If the document contains notarial wording then you can notarize it subject to the laws of your state.  Do they have proper ID?  If it's written in a foreign language, are you allowed to use a translator?  Must you be able to read the document yourself?

If no notarial wording is included, and the signer or document originator is requesting it be notarized, then you can do it but they must complete the form and let you know what type of certificate to use - acknowledgement or jurat.

Hope this helps.

Alan Murray
1 Posts
(Copiague, NY)
Visit Alan Murray's Website
RE: Proof of Life Form06/27/2011  1:47 PM

This Proof of Life Form also exist for US certain citizens who are on pensions. I did one for a couple last year. I treat it just like any other document that I notarize.

Paul Pitt
54 Posts
(San Diego, CA)
RE: Proof of Life Form07/03/2011  1:07 PM

Remember you are only verifying (witnessing) a signature subject to two valid ID's (PEPSI) and an oath.

Paul Pitt
54 Posts
(San Diego, CA)
RE: Proof of Life Form07/03/2011  1:15 PM

I searcehd and nobody has used the mnemonic PEPSI .. so here it is: Drivers license current or not more than five years expired Out of State drivers license current or not more than five years expired Passport current Military ID Government issued ID current (municipal, county, state, federal) Not a Green Card - INS Green Card is not acceptable ID (ever) for Best PI OR PEPSI P-hoto E-xpiration date P-hysical description (except on Passport) S-ignature I-ID# I-ssue date (within 5 years

Linda Hubbell
223 Posts
(Fort White, FL)
Visit Linda Hubbell's Website
RE: Proof of Life Form07/03/2011  4:48 PM

"Drivers license current or not more than five years expired Out of State drivers license current or not more than five years expired"

Isn't this a bit misleading?  Don't  you mean "if expired, issued within the last 5 years" not "not more than 5 years expired"?  The way you phrase it sounds like if the ID expired in 2008 it would be acceptable, which is not true.

Like your PEPSI though - never heard that.

Notary.net is continually working to improve your online experience. Please call 1 8 8 8 2 6 3 1 9 7 7 if you would like customer service assistance. Thank you.